Performix Ion is a pre workout that I am finally having the chance to review. You can find plenty of Performix Ion reviews online but only one of them is going to be thorough, entertaining, and actually complete. That of course, is going to be the Ion pre workout review of yours truly. In my in-depth Ion review I’m going to tell you a few very important things. The most important thing you’re going to learn in this review is if Ion actually works. I’ll tell you exactly how this pre workout performs for each of the three workouts that I tried it for. My goals is to basically give you the same exact feeling as if you had taken this pre workout yourself! After I talk about the performance I’ll tell you what is actually in the pre workout that makes it behave the way it does. You have to understand what you are putting in your body to decide if this pre workout is for you. The last two criteria for the review are taste and then label design. This is the sort of icing on the cake and what makes my reviews different from anything else online. Sound good to you? Great. Let’s do this. Here is my Performix Ion pre workout review.
Performix is a super trendy new company that has had my attention ever since I drove by a billboard featuring the Performix SST fat loss supplement. I was instantly intrigued by the clever packaging and distinct ‘terra bead’ technology that was being highlighted on all the marketing. Of course I had to get my hands on some of this stuff! As you know from reading my Performix SST review, my final verdict was that the product was quite average from a results standpoint. It looks sexy for sure. But the results didn’t quite match the looks. Kind of like my ex. LOL. So I was curious to see if the Ion pre workout was the same story. Let’s start with the most important part- the performance.
Performix Ion Performance Review Grade: 8.9
This pre workout is different from almost anything that I’ve tried for a few reasons. I’ll tell you about the workouts that I had with it, but first I’ll tell you what distinguishes it from others that i’ve tried.
- The first thing you should know about is this whole micro-beadlet, terra-bead thing is not just hocus pocus. What I found in my experience with it is that the product really does seem to have a sort of ‘slow-burn’ effect which means it takes longer to kick in than some of the other pre workouts. It makes sense when you think about it. A portion of the active ingredients is coated in the special coating that takes a little while to digest. Once the coating wears off, that ingredient will then enter the bloodstream and kick in. What I don’t know is which ingredients, and what portion of the those ingredients are coated. It very well could just be the caffeine, which could be why I could actually feel the delayed effect.
- The second thing that you need to know about Performix Ion is that you will absolutely crash from it. This is the only side effect that I noticed from Ion, but it was something that I thought I should bring to your attention. What happened with me was about 2 hours after I finished my last drop of Ion, I honestly felt like I got hit by a metro. It could be because I took about a scoop and a half of the pre workout, but when you look at the label it’s only 175 mg of caffeine per serving. So it’s not a caffeine crash. It’s something else. I don’t know if it’s because of the beadlet technology or some other ingredient in the Performix pre workout that my body didn’t agree with. But I’m not the only one that has this experience. If you read through some of the other Performix Ion reviews you will read much the same thing. There’s absolutely a crash.
So those are the two biggest things I wanted to get out of the way first and foremost. But honestly I don’t mean to rag on the crash. Because the fact of the matter is that the workouts were actually super good. My focus was on point, and I even had a decent pump when I took Ion before my shoulder workout. I did try Performix Ion before cardio one day and was pleased with it’s performance here as well. There is alot to appreciate in how this product makes you feel DURING the workout. And it’s the workout itself that really counts, right? I think so too. Let’s have a look at the ingredients to see what actually is in this pre workout.
Performix Ion Formula Grade: 8.2
I’ll tell you what I don’t like about this formula first and foremost is that it’s super skimpy. It leads to tremendous value because the price per serving is very affordable, but at the end of the day, this is such a little baby scoop that it doesn’t really hold up to the big, powerful modern day workouts like Pre Jym or Pre Kaged (stay tuned for an imminent review on this one as well).
Performix is a 5.3 gram serving size, with the main proprietary blend weighing in at just under 3.7 g. That is nothing. Most pre workouts these days have over 4 grams of citrulline alone! Let’s look at what is housed in the proprietary blend:
- Carnosyn Beta Alanine
- Citrulline Malate
- Betaine Anhydrous
- Creatine HCI
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
- Advantra-Z Citrus Aurantium
- Bioperine Black Pepper Extract
- Alpha Yohimbine HCI
So looking over this ingredients list you can tell what this product is really going to do is improve your energy levels. Advantra-Z is a potent energy booster that is actually banned by the NCAA- so if you are a college athlete please be aware that Performix Ion pre workout is not ok for you to take! The product also contains Alpah Yohimbine which is a strong energy kicker. If I had to guess, the creatine, beta-alanine, and betaine are all likely under-dosed. Which is to be expected when you think about what this product is really all about- creating a big energy kick at a reasonably affordable price point. Let’s talk briefly about how Performix Ion tastes.
Performix Ion Flavor Grade: 9.3
I’ve gone back and forth on this one a few times but I’ll settle on an A minus for taste. Ion has a very sweet, very fruity flavor. I had the ‘Ice Punch’ flavor which mixed up red and tastes like sweet artificial strawberry. I know. I’m not exactly making it sound phenomenal right now, but you should just take my word that Ion really does taste pleasant. Something you might NOT like about drinking Performix Ion is how the terra-beads do create a little bit of, er, ‘texture’ in your drink. If you’ve ever had one of those chia drinks, it’s sort of like that. For me, I personally kind of enjoy that little bit of added character caused by the chewy little terra beads. I was actually popping them open in my teeth to get faster results. LOL. I know. It sounds pretty un-appetizing. But seriously the taste is good. It’s sweet, it’s a little tart, and overall very drinkable. Slash chewable.
Performix Ion Packaging Grade: 9.8
Once again, as with the Performix SST fat burner, this is where Ion really stands out from the crowd. The coolest thing about Ion to me, is the tub. You start off with a square-shaped tub which instantly distances itself from almost every other pre workout on the market. I mean. It’s SQUARE! That’s awesome. The black is tub and black label background provide the perfect backdrop to the feature of the label- which is the terra-bead nutrient delivery system graphic that flows around the circumference of the package. The terra beads are the key selling point of the product, and it’s pure genius to focus the label design on it. The neat ‘super nova’ looking terra bead logo is also super neat. In fact the whole label just has a cool, space-age look that I’m in love with. I really don’t know, outside of Unico’s ATHENA Intense, if I’ve seen a better looking label in the supplement industry. Really, really well done once again by the Performix design folks.
Performix Ion Pre Workout Review Summary:
- Performix Ion Performance Review Grade: 8.9
- Performix Ion Formula Grade: 8.2
- Performix Ion Flavor Grade: 9.3
- Performix Ion Packaging Grade: 9.8
- Performix Ion Performance Value Grade: 8.9
When you roll up all the elements of this product, you can see that it really outperforms it’s formulation. The formula is NOT that great, but yet the product provides a tremendous workout experience, albeit with a crash afterwards. I really think the terra beads contribute to both. At well under a dollar per serving, this unique pre workout is worth buying at least once.*
Performix Ion Final Review Grade: 8.9
- Seeq Protein Review – I Tried the ‘Clear’ Protein Sweeping Tik-Tok - November 30, 2023
- Livwell Protein Review – Is it Good? Why Yes, it is. Here’s Why.. - April 15, 2023
- Clean Simple Eats Protein Powder Review – Why I Don’t Trust It - March 29, 2023